Brooklyn and Staten Island truck Accident Lawyers Obtain the Justice You Deserve
Truck accidents are on the rise. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were 116,000 large truck and bus injury crashes and 4,889 fatal crashes in 2017, both numbers up slightly from the previous year. If you were injured or you lost a loved one in a truck accident, you may be eligible for compensation. If you were injured in a truck accident, contact a Brooklyn truck accident lawyer at Eaton & Torrenzano to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Types of Truck Crashes
Garbage trucks, tractor-trailers, tanker trucks, and tow trucks are types of vehicles that may become involved in a truck accident. There are many ways in which these trucks may cause a crash; some of the most common include:
- Head-on accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Lost load accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Rollover accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Underride accidents
Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents vary depending on the driver’s actions, the location of the accident, and the condition of the truck, as well as other factors. Some of the most common causes our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers have seen include:
- Distracted driving: An ever-increasing safety issue, distracted driving occurs whenever a driver’s attention is taken away from the road. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 1,000 people are injured each day in the U.S. by distracted drivers.
- Driving under the influence: The permissible blood alcohol content (BAC) for commercial drivers is .04 percent, which is lower than the .08 percent limit for other motorists. However, despite stricter laws, drug and alcohol abuse remains common among truck drivers.
- Drowsy driving: Drowsy, or fatigued, driving caused 795 fatalities in 2017, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Drowsy driving is especially prevalent among truck drivers because they work long hours, often through the night.
- Equipment malfunction: Equipment, such as the brakes, lights, turn signals, and steering wheel, can cause a truck driver to crash. Truck drivers and trucking companies must comply with all FMCSA regulations, including those pertaining to inspection and maintenance.
- Improperly loaded cargo: This is often the cause of rollover and jackknife truck accidents. When cargo is not loaded properly or a trailer is overloaded, it can fall onto the road or cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
- Inadequate training: Trucking companies must train drivers and ensure that they are able to handle the challenges of driving oversized commercial vehicles. Truck drivers who are not adequately trained can cause serious accidents.
- Speeding: According to the NHTSA, speeding has consistently been a factor in approximately one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities for over 20 years. Speeding increases the potential for loss of control, longer stopping distances, and more severe injuries.
- Tire blowouts: When a tire suddenly explodes, it can cause the truck driver to lose control of the vehicle and get in an accident. Truck tire blowouts can occur due to lack of maintenance, defective tires, excessive heat, and other factors.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Commercial trucks weigh up to 80,000 pounds, which is 20 to 30 times as much as passenger cars, and can therefore cause more serious injuries. However, depending on the circumstances of the case, injuries in truck accidents can range from minor to severe. Some of the most common injuries our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers have sought compensation for include:
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Crush injuries
- Fatal injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Loss of limb/amputation
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Truck Accident Liability
Those who are injured in truck accidents may be able to recover compensation from either the truck driver, the trucking company, equipment manufacturers, repair shops, or other responsible parties. The law on this varies by state, therefore it is advisable to contact a local attorney to discuss your legal rights and options. Our truck accident lawyers are experienced in handling truck accident personal injury cases and can help you collect the maximum amount of damages allowable in your case.
Brooklyn Truck Accident Lawyers at Eaton & Torrenzano Help Truck Accident Victims Obtain Compensation for Their Injuries
If you were injured or you lost a loved one in a truck accident, contact a Brooklyn and Staten Island truck accident lawyer at Eaton & Torrenzano. You may be eligible for various types of compensation, including payment for medical expenses, lost income, and other related damages. Located in Brooklyn and Staten Island, New York and Hillsborough, New Jersey, we represent clients throughout Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx, and Manhattan. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 718-332-7766.
Eaton & Torrenzano has locations in Brooklyn and Staten Island, NY and Hillsborough, NJ. We proudly serve clients throughout Kings County and Richmond County, including the communities of Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, Manhattan, and New Jersey.