Car accidents remain the leading cause of accidental death in the U.S. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that three million people are injured each year and more than 90 people are killed each day in car accidents. In 2017, there were 999 traffic fatalities in the state of New York and 624 in New Jersey. If you were injured or you lost a loved one in a car accident, contact a Brooklyn car accident lawyer at Eaton & Torrenzano to discuss your legal options.
Causes of Car Accidents
While some car accidents may occur due to unavoidable circumstances, almost all are attributable to human error. Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Auto defects: Car manufacturers may make a mistake when designing or manufacturing vehicles. These auto defects can lead to fatal accidents.
- Distracted driving: More than 1,000 people are injured and nine are killed each day in distracted driving accidents, according to the CDC. Texting, talking on the phone, and operating navigation technology are common causes of distraction.
- Drowsy driving: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that drowsy driving causes up to 100,000 car accidents a year. Drowsy driving is especially prevalent in the commercial truck industry.
- Drugs/Alcohol: Drugged or drunk driving accidents claim more than 10,000 lives per year, according to the NHTSA. The administration also reports that approximately one-third of all traffic crash fatalities in the U.S. involve drunk drivers.
- Speeding: According to the NHTSA, 9,717 people were killed in speeding accidents in 2017 alone. Traveling at a high rate of speed or engaging in other aggressive driving behavior often leads to severe injuries and fatalities.
- Unsafe road conditions: Roads that are not properly maintained may cause car accidents. Victims may be able to hold the responsible government agency liable if it knew about the poor road condition and failed to remedy it within a reasonable amount of time.
Types of Car Accidents
Car accident victims may suffer various injuries and losses depending on the type of car crash in which they were involved. Common types of cases include:
- Head-on collisions
- Hit and run accidents
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-impact/T-bone crashes
- Sideswipe collisions
- Vehicle rollovers
Compensation for Car Accident Injuries
Generally, a plaintiff must prove that they suffered damages as a result of the defendant’s negligence. Types of compensation available include but are not limited to:
- Loss of consortium/enjoyment of life
- Loss of earning capacity
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
Those who are found to be at-fault for car accidents may be held liable in personal injury lawsuits. However, the laws on this vary by state, therefore it is advisable for car accident victims to contact a local qualified attorney to discuss their case. New York and New Jersey follow the comparative negligence rule, which reduces the amount of settlement you receive if you are partly to blame for an accident.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you were in a car accident, seek medical attention for your injuries immediately. If possible, write down details about the accident and take pictures of the scene. Gather pertinent information, such as the name, license plate number, and auto insurance details of the other driver, as well as names and contact information for any witnesses. Be wary of making any recorded statements or signing any agreements before contacting an attorney to ensure that your rights are protected.
Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyers at Eaton & Torrenzano Assist Clients with Personal Injury Claims
If you were injured or you lost a loved one in a car accident, contact a Brooklyn car accident lawyer at Eaton & Torrenzano. Our experienced attorneys can help you obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. We represent clients throughout Kings County, Richmond County, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx, and Manhattan from our offices conveniently located in Brooklyn and Staten Island, New York and Hillsborough, New Jersey. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 718-332-7766 or contact us online.
Eaton & Torrenzano has locations in Brooklyn, NY and Hillsborough, NJ. We serve clients throughout Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, Manhattan, and New Jersey.